Wednesday 18 May 2011
1000 for 1030-1500
Communities of practice in higher education present benefits and challenges for scholars. This one-day on-line seminar will set the notion of communities of practice in the context of contemporary academic practice.
Informed by recent work across the international higher education sector some funded in the UK by the JISC and the Higher Education Academy, as well as primary research by groups and communities.
To join the seminar sessions in Big Blue Button.
Please join the virtual classroom “CoPs in HE”:
- Tuesday 17 May 2011
- Session 1 1330-1430
- Session 2 1530-1630
To access the seminar, go to the BigBlueButton log in on the seminar website – on the right side.
- From the drop-down menu choose the meeting called “CoPs in HE”.
- Enter your own name.
- Enter the password “moderator”
- When the room opens, you will need to turn your sound on. To do this click on the headset icon on the upper menu bar to the left.
- You should see 4 “boxes”. To the left two boxes “Users” and “Listeners”. In the middle a big window for slides. To the right a chat box.
- Type a message in the chat. The interface will be explained in the practice session and in the opening half hour from 1000-1030 in the actual seminar.
NOTE: GENERAL POINTS ABOUT BIG BLUE BUTTON
Big Blue Button is an open source audiographic virtual meeting room.
Like all virtual meeting rooms, you will need a microphone and headphones (or all in one headset). Please DO NOT USE LAPTOP OR EXTERNAL SPEAKERS. These can cause feedback through your microphone.